Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For idiocy to flourish it only takes those with half a brain cell to remain silent

I've always believed I would find it difficult to live in America, that in spite of being surrounded by many beautiful, kind people of my acquaintanceship there, not to mention American friends I could lay down my life for, I would be intolerably oppressed by that country's prevailing political consensus. Unfortunately such a mindless consensus is now building in my homeland. I can’t remain silent. I can no longer allow my political commitments to remain in a condition of activist abeyance. Nor can I elaborate on this at 3am when I must begin a 16 hour workday in four hours time. Anger at political developments is keeping me from sleep. I have a better chance to sleep having committed myself to starting this political blog which I shall develop in the coming days and weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Well done Pat! You are not alone...

    The most effective weapon of oppression is fear, more than might. And Pope John Paul II understood that very well when he told the Polish people "Don't be afraid". Considering the events happening today in the Middle East and the toppling of the communist dictatorships in Eastern Europe at the end of the 1980s, one might wonder why a whole people suddenly overcome their fears and jump fearlessly into the unknown.
    In Ireland today, anger is palpable in every conversation. An anger caused by the feeling of being ruled by a financial dictatorship likened to foreign oppression. But this anger is rendered powerless by fear.
    I don't think I'm wrong in saying that the majority of Irish people feel that the elections won't change much in the present mess, and that something else has to be done. But resignation seems to be the only outcome., You look at Tunisia and Egypt with admiration. Don't you think that the rest of the world will look at you with admiration if you stand up against your new oppressor? You were the first of the then British colonies to claim and get your independence, and you showed the others that it was possible. And you are so proud of that!
    Here is my question to you: Today, what do you fear?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weren't the Americans the first of the British colonies to claim and get their independence?

    ReplyDelete